The North Shore Model Railroad Club is always looking for new members of any skill level. Don't be intimidated when you see the layout thinking your skill set doesn't match what you see on the layout. Membership is open to all skill levels and all interests - the club is a place to learn as well as to do.
Membership in the NSMRC is open to anyone 18 years old or older. We have no "junior" membership program at the club, although anyone under 18 may come down to the club and participate with their parents if a parent is a member. (Under 18 may visit at any time if with an adult)
Anyone wishing to become a member must first fill out a membership application. You can get an application at the club, or download one and fill it in at home and bring it to the club.
Candidates have full use of the club facilities and layout whenever the club is open (Thursday & Tuesday evenings, some Sunday afternoons). They may participate in all club activities, and use their own or club equipment on the layout. Once the application has been submitted, applicants have 6 months in which to complete requirements. If all requirements are not met within the 6month period, application is dismissed and the process must begin again.
The membership process includes participating in the following activities. This gives you a chance to experience different aspects of the hobby, and gives us time to get to know you better. All applicants must attend the following:
- Three Work Nights - Work nights are the 3rd and 4th Thursday of a month, where members work on the layout itself.
- We are encouraging one of the work night credits be satisfied by helping out at one of the shows we go to.
- One Operating Session - Saturday following the first Thursday; and 2nd Thursday evening; of each month (only 1 day needed for credit). This is where we run the layout as a railroad, with waybills and schedules & the whole 9 yards.
- Two Business Meetings - 1st Thursday of a month. Candidates may attend but do not have voting rights.
After all the above are completed, the applicant is voted on at the third business meeting they attend.
Membership benefits include
- The ability to work at the club layout
- The ability to run your own equipment at the layout, unsupervised, at any time.
- A key to the club for 24 hour access to the club facilities
- Ability to store tools and (some) equipment at the club
- The privilege of paying dues ($25/month)
- Discounts at local hobby shops (depends on the store)
You do not have to be a member or applicant to visit the club during club hours.
The NSMRC is open to all and does not discriminate based on age, race, religion, handicap, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other adjective used to pigeonhole people.
Membership application PDF